Monday, January 5, 2015

Why Christian Domestic Discipline?

There are so many types of spanking fetishes and domestic discipline arrangements. There's your standard DD, your LDD (and even ALDD for those edgy types) and your Taken in Hand HOH stuff. All of these groups have their own devoted followers, and there is a lot of crossover as well.

But Christian Domestic Discipline seems to have a special effect on people. Simply adding the word Christian to the beginning of the phrase makes people, even very open minded spanking people, get nervous. I actually had one popular and wonderful spanking fiction writer decline to work with me because I wrote in "that" genre. 

The problem is that domestic discipline arrangements are typically seen by those who understand such things as an agreement that two partners make willingly as something they both want. Adding the C to DD seems to bring on a sense of non-consent and even domestic abuse. Many people seem to assume that CDD does not involve women making a free choice but rather being bullied by men who play the God card. 

I'm not crazy about the idea that Christian women are any less able to see when they are being abused than other women are, but that's another topic. But I am ready to ask a few questions, and I admit that I don't know all the answers. 

Is Christian Domestic Discipline real? 

Talk to a few spanking/ DD types and some will tell you that a truly domestic discipline relationship (one person in a relationship disciplines the other for real shortcomings, and there's nothing sexual about it) is possible. Others will say that there is just no way that it's not really about sex. 

Add Christian DD into that, and you'll find couples who say that they've made the decision to live this way. Sexual or not, it's consensual. But are there really people who live in a CDD relationship because they believe that women should submit to the discipline of a husband? After all, many Christian conservative circles site the benefits of wifely submission. It's not a big leap to take that to spanking. 

There have been accusations of wife spanking made in some pretty extreme religious communities (think the quiverfull movement), and there was recently a man from Pennsylvania who was prosecuted for spanking his wife. Are these isolated cases, or is this really happening?

What Does it Have to do With Fiction? 

My fictional heroes are not insecure wife-beaters desperately trying to control their homes through violence. They are loving husbands who believe in a firm hand. The former is not sexy to me, but the latter makes my motor run. 

My writing about spanking in a Christian context does not indicate that I encourage any type of lifestyle whatsoever, and I don't believe that fictional stories can cause people to do awful things. 

Why Does This Turn Me On?

So this is a more personal question and one that I don't know exactly how to answer. I have been a spanko since I was very small. I have memories of being fascinated with spanking as early as my preschool years.

When I was a kid, I had several friends who were being brought up in conservative Christian homes. They were all spanked, and they were all told that they were being spanked because God and their parents loved them. Contrast that with my family where no one spanked or otherwise paid much attention to me at all. Is that where my wires got crossed? That's my best guess. 

Putting a story in a religious context also gives you an artistic license to write about spankings that are not fully consensual. That's a big turn-off for some people. But I think it makes a piece of fiction a little edgy and a little bit sexier. 

There is a lot more to this discussion and I plan to think out loud about it here. In the meantime, I'm happy to have you reading, and I hope you like my stories. If it's not your thing, that's okay too. Its a good thing that we are all a little bit different and that our personal interests have a unique slant. 

Until next time, 

Rebeckah










No comments:

Post a Comment